Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Purposeful Starvation.



The word "fasting" could sound really scary to most Christians. I myself have been guilty of being at the state of doing it as an obligation in order for me to sustain a "holier- than-thou-should-be" lifestyle before. To me, it was just merely starving myself to "ask God" for something. Or probably an act of "self-denial" so to say I could be "closer" to God and in the end "manipulate" Him to act on what I will.

Until I found myself dealing with this matter from "duty to delight".

Now, I could clearly define fasting as a "purposeful wait on God".

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance, p. 820, says the word "purpose" means "to choose for oneself, before another thing (prefer), i.e. (by impl.) to propose (intend)." To purpose therefore is to be "willingly pre-determined"

Fasting has to do with being WILLING. Willing to HEAR from God not just to speak.

Fasting has something to do with being SURE. Having the faith that He'll come and meet us and His Presence be felt.

Fasting has to do with CHOOSING. Choosing Him above ALL else that matters. It's elevating Him "second to none". It's offering ourselves WHOLLY...

without asking anything in return...

(Edit: I am now enjoying my 5 days of "Purposeful Waiting". :D)


No comments: