Monday, July 29, 2013

Alter Ego.

My husband and I just watched about a testimony of a girl who just recently surrendered her life to Jesus. Her testimony is a perfect example of God's compassion and mercy. I was again in awe of God's gift of redemption and forgiveness to mankind. For her, freedom from a bottomless pit of insecurity is to let go of her "alter ego".

During her testimony, she recalled, “I felt so loved that day because I was put in hair and makeup. I was told I was beautiful. I was going to be a star. But I was drained empty...I was so robotic, I was like a rubber Barbie doll. I had no emotions...I had an alter ego.”

Today's world defines beauty by ironically showcasing themselves as "carefree individuals who doesn't mind what other people will say" but in reality, most their motive is to make themselves look cool, therefore "acceptable". 

Today's generation seems to be so willing to set aside their values and depth just to chase what they seem to see as true happiness therefore, lose their identity on "alter egos". They believe these alter egos would make them feel better. So much to get a better version of themselves by trying to re-create who they are.

Alter ego - for some, is the perfect picture of who they are.

Yes, nothing is wrong with trying to be better. However my fear is that the more we crave for perfection, the less we see ourselves dependent on God's ability to mold us into the character He wants all of us to desire. Therefore, to only God should we always have to be acceptable. 

Romans 12: 1-2 
Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, [a]acceptable to God, which is your [b]spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this [c]world, but be transformed by therenewing of your mind, so that you may [d]prove what the will of God is, that which is good and [e]acceptable and perfect.



No comments: